Skip to main content

Understanding impairments

If you or someone you know has an impairment, discover more about the impact it can have on day-to-day life, and how we can help.

Deafness and hearing impairments

There are 11 million people with hearing loss across the UK, that's around one in six of us.

Find out more

Blindness and visual impairments

There are almost 2 million people living with sight loss in the UK.

Find out more

Communications difficulties

Nearly 20% of the population experience communication difficulties.

Find out more

Mobility and dexterity impairments

Your ability to move about can impact how you communicate.

Find out more

Cognitive impairments

Do you have trouble remembering, learning new things, or making decisions?

Find out more

Mental health problems

Common mental health problems include anxiety, depression, and bipolar affective disorder.

Find out more

Learning disabilities

Around 1.5 million people in the UK have a learning disability.

Find out more

Extra support

We provide additional services such as a social access package and links to other useful websites.

Find out more

Register for audio, braille or large print bills and contract

KCOM takes privacy seriously. The personal data we collect, the way in which we will collect it and how we use that personal data will depend on the reason for which we have gathered it in the first place. For more information on how we will use personal data, please click here.

Lasting Power of Attorney

  • What is Lasting Power of Attorney?

    A Lasting Power of Attorney (“LPA”) is a legal document that lets someone choose one or more trusted people (“Attorney(s)”) to make decisions on their behalf either immediately or when they lack mental capacity. The Attorney is usually a family member, a friend or a solicitor. It gives you more control over what happens if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions i.e. if you lack mental capacity. There are two types of LPA: “health and welfare” and “property and financial affairs”. Only a property and financial affairs LPA is valid in relation to a telecoms account.

  • How to request a form

    Setting up and using a LPA is straightforward. First, you will need to choose a person you feel confident will carry out your wishes. This doesn’t have to be a spouse or family member, but make sure it’s someone you trust. You can name more than one person if you want, as long as they’re 18 or over and fully understand the role they’ll be doing.

    Once you've made your choice, you need to fill in a LPA form. You can download a print version or complete an online form.

  • What is a Deputy Court Order?

    A Deputy Court Order (“DCO”) is a legal document giving one or more people (“Deputy / Deputies”) authority to make decisions for another person who lacks mental capacity (“Client”). A judge at the Court of Protection will only issue a DCO when there is evidence a Client lacks mental capacity. Deputies can act for the Client as soon as the DCO is issued. The DCO will list the types of decisions Deputies can make for the Client.

    Deputies are usually adult relatives or friends of the person lacking mental capacity. Anyone over 18 can apply to the Court of Protection to become the Deputy for a specific person but applying does not mean they’ll automatically be chosen.

    Deputies must account to the Office of the Public Guardian every year to show how they’ve managed the Client's property and finances, and what decisions they've made on the Client's behalf.

  • Let us know about it

    Once a LPA is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian or a DCO is issued by the Court of Protection, please contact us to let us know. You will need to provide the access code given by the authority when you registered a LPA.

    If you have been LPA prior to September 2019:

    You will need to send us the document confirming this. It can be a copy or the original document. Please make sure to send every page of the document otherwise we won’t be able to process your request. The address to write to us is:

    KCOM Customer Services
    1st Floor
    37 Carr Lane
    HU1 3RE

    If you decide to send us the original document, please provide an address for us to return it to you.

    Alternatively, you can scan the document and send a copy to us through our contact us form, selecting the option 'Attachment requested by KCOM'.

Contact us

Get in touch online or by phone

Find out about the different ways that you can get in touch with us online or by phone, including our dedicated phone number for vulnerable customers and NHS employees.

Contact us

Contact us through a sign language interpreter

If you'd like to contact us through a British Sign Language Interpreter, click the button below to learn more about the InterpretersLive! Service.

Find out more

Standards compliance

  • Links

    Many of the links have been given title attributes which describe the link in greater detail, unless the text of the link already describes the target.

  • Images

    All content images in this site include descriptive ALT attributes. Purely decorative graphics include null ALT attributes. Complex images include LONGDESC attributes or inline description to explain the significance of each image to non-visual readers.

  • Visual design

    This site uses cascading style sheets for visual layout. This site uses only relative font sizes which are compatible with the user-specified "text size" option in visual browsers. If your browser or browsing device does not support stylesheets at all, the content of each page is still readable.

  • Further information

    If you would like further information about our accessibility statement or if you are experiencing problems accessing the KCOM website, please contact the

  • Suggestions and feedback

    If you would like to contact our KCOM disability champion with suggestions or concerns about our services for disabled customers, you can email us at